Saturday, February 28, 2009

First day in Thailand

Hi it's Jessica and Kristin checking in. We are writing this from an Internet cafe a few blocks from our hotel, Baiyoke Suites Unfortunately, there is only one computer available. We had a great day today. We went to the Chatuchak market in Bangkok. It was the largest market we have ever been too. It had everything from scorpions, used Converse shoes, puppies, flowers, food, clothes, books, furniture, crafts, etc. etc. The prices were very reasonable. The weather here is extremely hot...about 95 F. We only lasted a couple hours before we had to seek refuge in air conditioning.
We found a great place for lunch. It was called MK's. The restaurant had a stove on our table. We had a "hot pot" where we cooked our own pork and vegetables in boiling water. It was only around 20 dollars for all 5 of us to eat. Very healthy. Why don't we have something like this in the US? It was very good.
Tomorrow we are meeting our host families. It should be another great day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad everyone made it over to Thailand safe. Sounds like a great start to your adventure!

Bob Piatek

Bethany said...

Hope you all are enjoying your first glimpse of the Thai lifestyle!

Craig Windt said...

Sounds like you're diving right in to Thai culture! We had it easy in Australia. We didn't have to worry about a language barrier those first couple days when we were getting over our jet-lag while staying at our hotel in Darling Harbour. So I give you a lot of credit for dealing with jet-lag and a foreign language!

$20 for a meal for 5 people? That wouldn't have even covered our bar tab in Australia! We were there when the US dollar was at one of its weakest points, nearly being on par with the Australian dollar. Since then the US dollar has gained nearly 50% on the Aussie dollar.

I can't wait to hear about your experiences as you meet up with your host families. I hope that you'll be able to post some picutres soon.

PIRG28Ruby said...

Hi, GSE Team! I'm back from California and am so excited about taking this vicarious trip with you to Bangkok! I subscribed to the blog like you suggested, Mike and lo and behold I received notification of your updated entries in my email inbox today! How great is that! Now, I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos of "all things Thailand" (No great surprise here!) so get those cameras clicking when you have time! Here's to the beginning of a month-long worth of wonderful encounters and memorable experiences! Your journey has truly begun....Enjoy! -Ruby Iwamasa Midland Rotarian, District 6310

Anonymous said...

It is great getting your updates. I'm glad everything is going well so far. I assume you are all settled in with your host families. I am looking forward to seeing some great photos of your trip. Have a grand time!

Love,
Patty Piatek :o)