After about 22 hours of just flying time, we finally made it to Bangkok. It's been a really long day (days?). The thing is, as my first time flying across the Pacific I don't really know if it was longer or shorter than I was expecting. Maybe I just didn't have any concept of how long it would feel to fly for 22 hours.
I usually can't sleep on planes, and I've seen my share of red-eye flights. This time, I did find a way to sleep. Granted, it wasn't much, but it did give me enough energy to make it through. Sleeping was a great way to pass the time, but even still I can't count how many times I woke up and full of hope looked at my watch, only to find we still had several more hours before our expected arrival. Ahh well...
We had some enjoyable conversations with travelers along the way. These conversations usually happened while we were up and around in the little bit of extra space near the back of the plane. There was the couple headed to Nepal to volunteer at an orphanage; the two guys headed to a military base in northern Japan for training; and the American who has spent the last 10 years living in Japan, heading home. These are just the first few of hundreds of people we'll cross paths with on this trip, and it's already been great to share stories together.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello!
I was on last year's GSE team to Australia, and I can totally understand what you mean by the long flight! I have flown back and forth to Europe quite a bit, but nothing prepared me for the 14 hour flight between LAX and Sydney. Since we left LA at 11pm California time, it wasn't too hard to fall asleep, especially with the aid of my friend, Ambien :) I think I slept a good 9 hours, which of course made the time fly by...excuse the pun.
Glad you made it safe and sound, Mike! Low temp last night was about 5 F, I'll take your 90 F!
Post a Comment