Thursday, January 31, 2008

14 Days

As I sit at my computer looking over the agenda that Ian has so graciously provided for us, I can image myself there now. I know that it is summer in Australia and I can feel the rays from the sun on my skin as I sit her. In reality, it is the dead of winter here!!! Yesterday, it was 10 degrees zero with the windchill. Can you say "burr?" I was working outside in it and all I could do was think "only two more weeks and I will be basking in the sun in AUSTRALIA. After going to the site and looking at all the pictures, I am there already. That is...in my head. I can't wait to get there and meet/greet and see all that I can see.

One more thing. One of my teammates (Megan) is stressing out about surrounding a month's wardrobe around one pair of shoes. Now that is just ridiculous :-) . Will someone tell her that she can't wear the same pair of shoes with everything. She has to bring at least two pair. One for walking (maybe gymshoes) and another for meetings/tours etc. I am going to go all out...I have decided to take three pair.

6 comments:

Megan Yezak said...

Ha ha, I have no intention of bringing only one pair of shoes. I'll be lucky if I don't bring more shoes than the rest of the team combined!

But seriously, laying out my clothes for this trip has been a great soul boost in this ice-cold weather. When I visualize myself doffing my down parka and fur-lined boots and donning sandals and short-sleeved shirts, I too can almost feel the sun on my skin.

Just imagine, on February 14, we'll probably be going from 7 F to 80 F in one day! Now that's my idea of a Valentine's treat.

Craig Windt said...

I'm getting more and more excited as well! I'm also going with the two pair of shoes plan, and a pair of sandals.

Connie Schweitzer said...

I think I took 7 pairs of shoes so if you only have 3, you're doing great!

I can only imagine the emotional roller coaster you are all experiencing. The excitement for a new adventure, yet the anxiety for the unknown. It seems like only yesterday the team and I were getting ready to leave for Senegal. You are going to have such a wonderful time!!

Unknown said...

I love the shoes exchange.
We have had the hottest January on record in NSW--so it has been sandles weather!
We are experiencing the El Nino effect right now,which is good for the farmers--but it also brings rain and showers and so a rain jacket is a must in the travel luggage.
Follow weather patterns at http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/forecasts.shtml, over the next couple weeks.

Rusty Laurenz said...

You mean I have to bring shoes? Do you need to have shoes on to ride in an airplane? I'm planning to bring swim trunks and a shirt Jeff gave me. What is the tie for any way?

Anonymous said...

Shoes or no shoes I'm still going! I would like to see about borrowing some luggage space for my size 14's though. How about it Rusty, with only trunks and a shirt you should have lots of room to spare?