Sunday, May 23, 2010

Stop Signs Are Only Suggestions

We have had a fun filled week along the northern area of our tour. The real adventures began in Obidos. It's a beautiful castle village surrounded by the castle walls that was settled in the 12th century. Extensive sightseeing and shopping was had by all. Our host rotarians were very generous. We were housed in a Guest House in the heart of the village - walking distance from all. However driving was involved to and from dinner. Have I told you about the Portuguese driving?
The tour books did warn us that the Portuguese people are on a relaxed time schedule - all but their driving! This has been witnessed by us throughout the trip but never to the extent it was revealed in Obidos. The rotary president - Orlando was quickly nicknamed Kamakazi! for his crazy driving skills. Lynn would mutter under her breath "get them home alive" as we weaved in and out of tight castle wall openings, curved one-way streets (that weren't infact one-way) and cobble stone squares.
To releave our nerves we went for a night walk through the streets of the village. Empty and lit by moonlight we found ourselves in a little tavern being seranaded by a young amateur Fado singer. Toasts were made with Ginja (cherry liqueur served in chocolate cups - with a good kick!) and new friends were made.
Enjoy a sample of our driving fun. I could hardly hold the camera for the bumpy cobblestone streets.

Kamakasi Driving Quotes:

"Please don't breath I'm going to turn"
"Please don't be afraid - for us it is normal"
"Grab something...I am going to turn!"
"No need to worry - I am good at this!"

3 comments:

Marta Roque said...

It was a funny movie...yes, in general, the portuguese (not me) drive like crazy...

But I´m sure he knew what he was doing :)

Lynne Mischley said...

Thanks for sharing the "fun" ride. I have enjoyed following the commentary and look forward to each new bit of news.

I bet the time is flying!
Enjoy,
Lynne

carascreations said...

don't be afraid...i'm a specialist... LOL!!!