I am currently enjoying a glass (or two) of sangria at a bar overlooking the Atlantic Ocean listening to spunky Portugese and French pop songs performed by a 2 person band. One must ask at a time like this - does it get any better? One full week in Portugal and we have experienced more than I ever imagined.
First impressions are that the Portuguese people are some of the most welcoming, funny, giving, and spirited characters I have ever met. The men are true gentlemen, the ladies are beautiful and together they create a community that has swept me off my feet. I teased one of my fellow travelers that I have begun to date Portugal. It was love at first sight.... but now it is getting serious. Each day, Portugal surprises me.
The rich history is always present here in Portugal. What is also facinating is the blend of old and new. Sometimes on purpose - sometimes not. (like the colorful graffiti adorning the decaying walls of the plaster buildings).
The food is always present too. Sometimes 5 times a day. Our diet should not be called a diet! Flavors that capture the best that Portugal has to offer. Fish, wine, cheese, olive oils, herbs, pork and fresh vegetables. i would agree that this is healthy food - but moderation doesn't seem to be the Portugal way. And the desserts....I would need an entirely new blog!
The lanscape is as dynamic as the people. We have visited many cities, towns and everything in between. All destinations have something unique and captivating. The sandy beaches of Almada, the cork trees of Silva, the architecture of Lisbon and the white caps of the Algarve bring to life photos I 'Googled' furiously for 4 months before my departure.
So far, after only one week of the Portugal life - I can truely say that it is a dream come true.
I eagerly await the surprises yet to come.
2 comments:
Kristen is doing terrific writing for the blog. She makes the reader feel engaged. Keep us the great messages. Glad the trip is proving to be worth the time away from home.
Vickie, Frankenmuth
History, culture, people food and wine! Now we really are jealous. Checked in on your excursion on Info Northeast front page this morning and will do the same once or twice a week until your return. Keep the reports and photos coming.
Here is wishing you safe travels.
Post a Comment