Monday, March 24, 2008

We're back home

I just wanted to drop a note that we all make it back to Michigan safely. There is still some snow here especially in ditches and other places where the sun does not shine directly on to the snow.
I also wanted to Thank everyone who helped to make our team's trip so great. It took a lot of preparation and coordination to run such a smooth inbound exchange operation. Everyone was fantastic and appreciated including: host families, drivers, coordinators, places of vocational visits, volunteers, guides, cooks, and out bound teams among others. Thanks again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rusty, we all had fun too--tell us a bit about the Hunting expedition?

Rusty Laurenz said...

I had a great time with my extra four days in Australia. The farmer I hunted kangaroo with could not grow very good pasture. After much thought he decided to have 3 professional hunters hunt kangaroo on his 1200 acre farm. They killed 190 roos in one night. He has them back every 3 months and they get about 60 each time. I shot 6 in two hours. I saw between 40 and 50.

I also fished for a few hours. I caught 5 fish (4 different species.)

Then I went Red Deer or Red Stag hunting. We drove from Dapto NW past Bathurst past the Black Stump to a camp in the bush near Dunedoo. I shot a huge stag with a .300 scoped rifle. It weighted perhaps 500 pounds. The stag had 17 points but the crown after the first 3 points on each side is often what is important. It was exciting for me.

Unknown said...

Hey, maybe you could set up an initiative for US tourists and tour with them for Hunting expeditions in AU--now you are a seasoned traveller!
All the Best
Nice to hear Megan's good news!