Friday, February 22, 2008

Finally

I apologize for the delay; however I haven't had internet access. I am having a fantastic time. So far my vocational visits have included RYDA (Rotary Youth Driving Awareness), RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority)Traffic Management Centre, RTA Truck Depot and Traffic Court.

Let me just say that traffic court in Australia is no different from Traffic Court in Bay City. This gentleman today tried to convince the magistrate that parking his motorcycle on a footpath was a right that only he had. He didn't learn the first time that he received a ticket...he received another one only 10 days later. Instead of paying $79 each the citations, the magistrate fined him $330 fine and $79 court cost on the first and $500 fine and $79 on the second one. Needless to say, he wanted an appeal.

RYDA was wonderful as well. I think all beginning drivers should have to take this course. To learn more, go to www.ryda.org.au/rydaorg/organisation.htm.

The RTA Truck Depot was so informational. Here, the department can keep up with all the accidents, fines, defaults, etc. that a truck driver/company has been involved in. This information is also passed along to vehicle registration. If the default is not fixed, then they can not renew their registration.

So far, everything has been remarkable. My host family, Ann and Judith Kaine, are wonderful. They are absolutely spoiling me...I think I want to stay.

Taa taa for now and hopefully you will hear from me soon.

No comments: