Monday, February 25, 2008

Just gets better with time!!!!

Today, I went on a vocational visit with Gosford Police Station, NSW (New South Wales). Unlike the Michigan State Police, New South Wales has a separate patrol for "general and highway patrol". When I arrived, I was given a tour of the station by Sgt. John Rutherford, who was a wealth of know. He set me up, in the morning, with general patrol officers Adam Webb and Chris Edden. They were an absolute join to ride along with. We enjoyed lunch back at the station, then I met and spoke in length with Inspector Irene Juerrens (IJ).

IJ who has been with the New South Wales Police Department for 40 plus years. It was an delight to speak with a female who had so much experience within law enforcement. She is due to retire this year. After my chat with IJ, I went on highway patrol with Officer Scot Knowles. I must say that riding with Officer Knowles was the highlight of the day.

Officer Knowles stopped a vehicle for an expired registration in which the registered vehicle owner information also showed expired since 2004. A traffic stop was initiated. After making contact with the driver, Officer Knowles ascertained that the driver had just come from his yearly vehicle inspection. This is a requirement for vehicle registration renewal in Australia. Please note that the driver passed approximately 30 stations prior to arriving at the one who performed the inspection. Please also note that the driver's vehicle had been giving "a good bill of health". However, Officer Knowles noted several defects on the vehicle, which included bald tires, none working lights and horn. Officer Knowles informed the driver that he would be issued a citation. The driver then stated that receiving the citation was the last straw for him and exited the vehicle.

Immediately after the driver exited the vehicle, he attempted to run into oncoming traffic. Officer Knowles responded quite effectively. He pulled the driver back away from traffic, sat him in his vehicle, removed the keys from the driver's vehicle, and called for back up. I believe that Officer Knowles saved the driver's life. The driver was then transported to the local mental hospital for evaluation. WOW!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Michelle Robinson said...

Yvonne, sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Thank you so much for passing on this blog address so we can keep up! Hey - don't forget that trooper article when you return! :)

Have a great time!

Yvonne Brantley said...

I won't. I am trying to work on it as I go along. I know the next deadline is March 18th. I have some great photos. As you can read, we are having an amazing time.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yvonne,

I don't know if you remember me or not, by my name is Mitchell Rivard and I am the student representative on the Bay County Prevention Network and I helped with the training at the Lincoln Center for Law Enforcement where i talked to you.

I know Mr. Windt and have been following this blog about his expereiences. On the contrary, I did not know that you went overseas as well! It must be amazing.

I hope everything continues to go well and best of luck to both of you.

Sincerely,

Mitchell Rivard