
Wow! Today we had our first real experience in the bush. This morning we went to a farm run by Roger and Lorraine Wilson and got a tour of their chicken raising facility. We saw their orange groves and actually got to taste orange juice made by a farm across the road from their farm which uses some of the Wilsons' oranges. Then we all piled into four wheel drive vehicles and headed up to the mountains. Let me tell you, these narrow, windy mountain roads were worse than the expressways in Detroit (last I checked, at least)... At the top, we had a wonderful lunch of ham sandwiches with farm-grown, fresh tomatoes. (Remember, it is summer here!) Next to our picnic site was a cave with Aboriginal art. That was quite a site to see. Then we started heading back down, but stopped at another Aboriginal site to see stone carvings. It is theorized that the carvin

gs served as sort of a map of the area for the ancient tribes. Further down, we were quite happy to see wild kangaroos hopping along side the cars...until one jumped right in front of us! We missed him, luckily, because I couldn't live with myself if we ran over a kangaroo. (I am, however, looking forward to havind kangaroo meat for dinner before leaving this country.) Then it was off to a local pub for a couple refreshing pints of beer before returning to our hosts. Now I'm home for a quick second to shower and get ready for a welcome barbecue for the GSE team. More to come later!
3 comments:
Look carefully at the picture above skippy and you will see hand prints on the rock. This little cave looks like a great place to rest and get out of the sun.
I saw the handprints, but it looks a little creepy. Who left them there? Is that a cave? I can't quite figure it out.
Don't you dare try to tell me that Kangaroo meat "tastes like chicken" :)
Post a Comment