Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vocational Visits

Today we each went on vocational visits within our respective fields. I toured a public hospital called Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai Hospital, a private hospital called Sydney Adventist Hospital, and the physiotherapy facility for the Sydney Swans AFL team.

A key feature of health care in Australia is that it is designed to achieve a balance between affordable universal coverage and choice. All Australians are eligible for medical services at no charge through public hospitals, regardless of their age or income level. They may also receive some government reimbursement for care at private hospitals and may elect to purchase private health insurance, which gives them additional choices.

At Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai, I was impressed with the quality of health care that is available publicly. I was particularly intrigued by the processes they are using to ensure timely emergency treatment and to prevent frequent hospitalizations among their older population. I met with staff in public relations and fund development, Web site development and the emergency department, and picked up a lot of great ideas. One thing that came across very strongly in all of my conversations with the staff is the pride that Hornsby employees take in being an integral part of the community that they serve, and of the long history of cooperation and support they’ve received from their community in return.

Sydney Adventist Hospital, or “the San,” had an equally impressive standard of care and beautiful, state-of-the-art facilities. It is easy to see why it is one of the most preferred hospitals in Australia. Everything from the gourmet vegetarian diet to the clean, spacious, airy accommodations to the naturally green surroundings seemed to provide an ideal healing environment. I met with staff members in business development, marketing and fund development, and again exchanged many valuable ideas.

My hosts and other Rotarians in the Wahroonga area have mentioned how lucky they are to live so close to two good hospitals, and I can see why they feel this way.

Next, Ian Cameron drove me to the home of the Sydney Swans Australian rules football team. There we met with his son, Matt, who manages the physiotherapy staff for the team. He shared some of the tactics they use to condition the players for peak performance and injury prevention and talked about the differences between caring for professional athletes versus the general community. We also got a tour of the facilities, including the gyms, consultation rooms and the stadium field.

Thanks to the Rotarians who arranged my visits and welcomed me to their places of business, I gained a lot of valuable insight and experience.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to hear all about your trip to these hospitals. I'll take a nap before hand because I know we'll be talking for hours. But I mean this in a good way.

Ian Faulks, GSE 2008 Team Leader said...

Go Swannies! Wish I could have come along on your visits as they sound great.