Saturday, March 21, 2009
Sugar Factory
For those of you who don't know where I grew up, I grew up in Sebewaing, Michigan home of the Sugar Festival. It is a farming community who grows sugar beets. Yesterday, we went to the largest sugar manufacturer in the world, Kaset Thai sugar mill. We learned about sugar cane, got a tour of the plant, and also learned about the by-product of sugar mills, bagasse. Bagasse is used in pulp making. This plant also produced ethanol. I have seen the sugar factory in Sebewaing so it was great for me to see the similarities and differences between the plants. One similarity...both plants are so HOT. One difference...sugar beets smell more. I enjoyed the visit. We are doing so much here I could spend my whole day blogging. We move to another town today. Home soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can relate to the smell of the sugar beets. When we first moved to Santa Maria, CA, there was a sugar beets factory on the other end of town. When the winds blew just the right way, the smell was terrible.
I don't think the factory here ever offered tours. If they had, I would have definitely taken one.
Enjoy your last week!
Patty :o)
Ahh! The sweet smell of sugar beets...right here in Mid-Michigan...and I did go on a tour; wonder if they still offer them? -Ruby
Post a Comment