Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Won't you take me to...Monkey Town?

Hi, Jennifer here.

It has been an incredible time in Saraburi. Our hosts were so attentive and generous, and since the overall pace quite different than Bangkok, it is a welcome shift indeed. It'll be sad to leave, as we are about to do this morning, but we have many fond memories and look forward to going further upcountry (where we're due, according to our hosts, to encounter monkeys all over the province that are both "good" and "bad." We'll see if we how we can distinguish them.) Many thanks to Jiab and our friends for being so kind and accommodating.

We're due to visit our first temple today before transferring to new host families. It's an aspect of the trip that we've been eagerly anticipating. For me, I only know about Buddhism in an academic sense, since my students get a small sampling of Asian philosophy in my World Literature course. I've read a fair bit of nonfiction on the subject as well, but I'm sure no books will ever prepare me for real life experience (gasp! Did you hear that, Bullock Creek students?).

I'm guessing that these next few days will be more rustic than we've experienced so far. Please forgive any delay in future posts. Much love to all!

P.S. Facebook Friends: There's a ton of photos on some of our individual sites as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you get ready for this next leg of your journey, you'll be leaving behind some very special friends. I'm glad everyone over there is treating you so well.

I'm looking forward to see photos of the temples. I bet they are just beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Patty :o)

Hratch Basmadjian said...

Jennifer, I'm planning an optional Easter Service and Choir singing on Sunday April 12th at 1st Presbyterian in Bay City. I'm hoping for the same type of reaction from our visiting friends that you are looking forward to.