Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thai Traditional Medicine

I had a very special day today. The Rotarians in Thailand made a special arrangement for me to visit the Institute of Thai Traditional Medicine (TTM). The University of Utah has a class in Thailand for pharmacists and physician assistants. I believe the class is 4-6 weeks long. They were gracious and allowed me to join their class and lunch at the TTM. I was shown how to do traditional Thai massage and exercises I also toured the TTM museum. I learned that in Thailand they teach Thai traditional medicine, pharmacy, massage, and midwifery. The individuals trained in Thai traditional medicine are allowed to practice in hospitals under the supervision of MDs (kind of like a PA!) The rest of the day was great, but very busy!!

2 comments:

PIRG28Ruby said...

How great that special arrangements were made for your vocational visit to the Institute of Thai Traditional Medicine, Kristin. With all that wonderful food you spoke of earlier (sticky rice, yummm!) and your busy schedule, you can practice the Thai massage on your teammates as well as do exercises together to keep in shape! So glad you were able to meet Apple. I love that nickname she uses!
Lynne's photo of the vegetable market was so colorful; I'm wondering if the scale of hotness in the peppers corresponds to the color of the peppers, i.e. bright red for spicy hot; orange for medium and green for mild (2)! It looks like "busy" is the operative word for all of you! Stay well. -Ruby Iwamasa, Midland Rotary Club District 6310 Midland, MI

Hratch Basmadjian said...

Hello Team Michigan...Great input.I'm glad you met the incoming GSE Team, we are in the process of planning a dinner for both teams and spouses on Thursday April 9th, hosted by Delta College, it should be a fun night to see everyone together. Take care.